WHITE RABBIT
Don’t ask me, just passing on the message from Joan. Where did the “white rabbit” tradition on the first of every month come from, anyway?
This morning I finally managed to get a hold of the animal welfare professor here at Cambridge, who invited me to meet him and his researchers. This was good news, except that I had just gotten out of bed when I called him, and he wanted me there in half an hour. The vet college is a 15 minute cycle from our flat – so I got to practice my speed bathing technique and was actually out the door in a relatively short amount of time.
Our meeting went very well and the entire research team here is friendly and working on some really interesting projects. Unfortunately though, their funding works similar to that at UBC (and most academic institutions) in that they get funding for specific projects and part of each project budget is salary for researchers. What this means for me is that there is no hope of working with them until a new grant comes up – so in the meantime I’ve decided to look for administrative type work and go from there. I will keep in touch with the research group here though, and hope to attend their weekly animal welfare lunch discussion lectures.
Other than the frenzied bike ride this morning, it was a pretty quiet day. We had planned on making our first visit to the college pub tonight (rumoured to be the best on campus) but are too tired to drag our butts back to the main campus/town area. I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home