COVET THY NEIGHBOUR'S KITCHEN
The bible says "thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife", but it certainly doesn't say anything about coveting thy neighbour's kitchen. I have to come out of the closet and profess that I am a kitchen covetor.
The kitchen in our Vancouver apartment was my happy place, a kitchen dearly loved for its innate setup, the wonderful foodie tools we stocked it with, and the many many memorable meals whipped up within its boundaries. The kitchen in our Cambridge flat is the opposite - at the opposite end of the house from the living room, narrow, stocked with questionable appliances (stove the size of an Easy Bake Oven) and crockery, and with few memories as of yet. But - BUT - our new kitchen does have the advantage of a window which looks out over our garden, across the lane, and into a neighbour's kitchen.
Before discovering the neighbour's kitchen I had never considered myself a voyeur. But through those lovely french doors (of the neighbour's kitchen - not mine!) I spy slate flooring, hardwood cabinetry (with under-shelf lighting, no less!!), granite countertops, and gleaming sinks and appliances. Me likes, me WANTS. I could do without the two children that I see running about every now and then, but bring on the solid earth tones and high end cooking gadetry.
So on those cold winter nights while I stand on my ancient, linoleum-covered floor, with my white laminate cabinetry and decrepit stove, under the glare of a fluorescent light, I gaze out the window into The Other Kitchen, and dream of one day fixing meals in a similar abode. Until then, covet I shall.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home