VISITOR FROM HOME
I typed this out yesterday, only to have it sucked into the void that is otherwise known as the Internet. And true to form, in that I absolutely ABHOR putting double effort into getting a single accomplishment, today's entry will be a shoddy parody of yesterday's - I just don't have the heart to re-write the entire thing.
What I MEANT to say is that our friend Kendal (also Ray's UBC MSc supervisor) is in Cambridge this week for a visit and to do some academic stuff. Kendal actually did his PhD here about 10 years ago, and so it's been fun to compare his experiences with ours. A big difference that he's noticed: the arrival of chain food outlets - and simply more food outlets - in the town core. He was flabbergasted (aside: isn't "flabbergasted" just the best word? Say it to yourself: Flabber. Gasted. You'll see what I mean) that Cambridge has three Starbucks and many new sandwich shops, making a quick, albeit rather expensive, meal easy to come by.
I'm of two minds about the chain outlets. My gut reaction is to respond in a similar fashion to how I feel about big box stores like Walmart: Ick with a capital I. Don't even get me started on labour laws, product quality/sourcing, and effect on community. But then I think, "Good God, I really Really REALLY want a Frappucino, and am going to skedaddle straight over to Starbucks" and am relieved to find coffee and croissants instead of tea and biscuits. I am ashamed of this obvious moral inconsistency - and let's call a spade a spade, there's a certain amount of snobbery in there as well - but can't seem to find the willpower to give up those darn fancy coffees. And then I think, "Well, Starbucks et al. flourish because people LIKE them, and they have sound business plans, blah-dee-blah-dee-blah" and so maybe it's okay that they are here rather than the mom-and-pop shops?
In any case, I've strayed far, far from my original topic - Kendal, definitely an original, definitely great to have him around for a few days. As for the whole retailer rant (I know what you're thinking! This from a girl who schlepped for a huge multi-national clothing company! - but desperate times call for desperate measures): This is what happens when the computer eats my posts. Mental meltdown.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home