HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE!
My baby brother is no longer a baby!
It's Kyle's 20th birthday today and I'm still having a hard time processing that the wee boy with the crazy blonde hair is now a handsome, responsible young man. I think there never was a truer adage than "time flies". And with that little boy all grown up, what does that make me?
Today's blog is dedicated to my amazing brother and sister who I miss terribly from our nest on the other side of the world. It being his birthday, I'll talk about Kyle first, then Kim (heck, he who is born last should get to go first once in a while).
Why Kyle is cool: He is over 6 feet tall, for one. Remember last month when I talked about how tall my kitchen cabinetry is? Well, if you are as tall as Kyle - no problemo! Kyle is well-rounded: he's taking a wide range of courses at university in order to explore a bunch of different subjects that he finds interesting, and he's involved in sports such as ultimate. He has a nack for cleaning and organization - a closely guarded secret from his family members - and has worked his butt off in summer jobs to support his way through university. He is a lot of fun to hang out with, and can always be counted on to plot up some prank or another. But, Kyle can also be tough: for example, he acted as a bouncer during my and Ray's wedding when some unsavories showed up to crash the party.
Why Kim is cool: In the size category, thankfully she's closer to me (otherwise I would be the short freak of the family!) and so I can borrow her clothes. Speaking of clothes, Kim has a great sense of style and can always be depended on to be my fashion consultant when shopping. I have to admit that since I've been in Cambridge, when I've gone to buy something to wear, I find myself thinking "what would Kim think of this outfit??". Like Kyle, Kim is involved in a variety of activities including academics - go PhD!!! - and sports such as ultimate and rock climbing. Kim is braver than I and has convinced me to try some things that I would have been to chicken to do on my own - and I am a better person for it. And, she is a compassionate and insightful sounding board when difficulties arise in my life.
Everyone should be so fortunate to have siblings like these two great people. And of course I am being more than a little bit tongue-in-cheek above; as wonderful, complex people, it is impossible for me to capture the intangible "Kim-ness" and "Kyle-ness" that is at the heart of what makes them so fantastic. You'll have to trust me on this one - they just are.
So Kyle, thank-you for having a birthday and giving me the opportunity to wax poetic about you two. And have the happiest of birthdays!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home