LEARNING TO SAIL MY SHIP
The past month has been full of ups and downs, which I imagine is to be expected when a couple of naive folk like Ray and I leave our comfy life behind and move halfway around the world. What I find most difficult these days is that we are starting to feel settled in, which lulls me into a false sense of complacency. Just when I think I know my way around, or how to do something, I find out that I DON'T, and this throws me off balance.
The good side of this situation is that I recently came across an old copy of "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott - remember, books are my "comfort food" - and I found a passage particularly suited to this point in my life: "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship". I like that. I have to admit that I was saying it to myself under my breath today when I felt the urge to TAKE OUT a particularly annoying Gap customer who was pulling down (and unfolding, and mixing up in the process) an entire wall of jeans that I had just spent over an hour folding and sorting. "Sailing my ship, sailing my ship...."
What I am getting around to saying, in a most roundabout way, is that while a daily diet of this blog may make it sound like we are having loads of trouble getting into our new life here, we really are having a great time overall. Besides, it's more interesting to read about the silly stuff that happens to us rather than "we got up, felt like smiling, went to bed at a decent hour". You have to admit that you got a giggle out of how my bike broke down on me (I know I did) or even, dare I suggest it, the overly aggressive swan.
So that's about it for today's ramble; you'll have to wait two days for my next installment because we are hosting a Halloween party tomorrow night and I won't have time to post. Let me take this chance to wish you all a most spooky and fun Halloween!
Addendum: As Joan kindly pointed out in a comment on yesterday's entry (where are the rest of my loyal readers, hrrrmmm???), I failed to set up the link to the MULLET website in my original entry; I compounded this error but again mentioning the MULLET and still not having explained myself. Ask and ye shall receive...check out The Mullet and all your questions (and then some) will be answered.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home