TO GAP OR NOT TO GAP
So the mighty Gap interview took place today; I think it didn’t fare too badly. Since my sound rejection for a couple of receptionist positions, I am no longer confident in my abilities to speak to the public or hawk clothing. But, bravely recalling the pub manager’s “you’ll do” – so perhaps I have at least passed some sort of minimum bar in the looks department, all that seems to be required at many clothing/retail locations – I dressed cutely, fixed my hair and presented myself to the manager.
I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that shopping seems to be the British national sport, and that the stores are crammed full of shoppers all practicing their craft. The Gap is no different – if anything, because of the chain’s well-known name, it is even busier than many similar clothing stores. Add that to the facts that 1. it was raining and windy today (so not much else to do; your two options were to stay home or shop, most people choosing the latter) and 2. Christmas decorations have started appearing in stores (reminding frenzied shoppers that there are only – count ‘em – 61 ½ shopping days until the big day), and the store was literally my version of Shopping Madness.
But! Recalling that I am a resourceful lass that has handled horses, cows, fowl (excluding swans) and many rowdy children – and has survived multiple years of Circle Craft feeding frenzies – it would take more than crazed Gap shoppers to intimidate me. The interview was of a different sort than any I have had before in that I spent the hour on the sales floor, helping run the dressing rooms, greeting customers, and generally showing the manager how well I fit into the whole Gappy scene. It was a bit dicey when it came down to a test of how well I could put together an outfit of all Gap clothes, on my own, in under 10 minutes, but I didn’t let the pressure get to me and I think I passed all the tests with flying colours. I’ll find out for sure if I have the job sometime within the next week, but it looks like I will at last be bringing home some income, even if it’s only minimum wage. Whew!
Funny blog thought today (as I am finally getting my journal online into a proper blog!): my profile has the Blogger.com-supplied question “If you were a cannibal, what would you wear to dinner?” I’ve decided that I would wear BBQ sauce and a truly fabulous hat, which I don’t have the courage to wear now, but would if I were about to become dinner. Because really, at that point, who cares??

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home