LINGUISTICS FOR BRITS
Kate suggested that I talk about how Brits talk, so that those of you who haven't been to the UK get a sense of daily conversation here. Some of the particular phrases and words that stand out:
"Are you alright/okay?" - I think this is equivalent to Canada-speak "How are you?". All my coworkers greet me this way and it took me a week or so to figure out that they weren't concerned for my health, they simply wanted to say hello.
"Cheers" - I've mentioned this before; used in place of "thank-you".
"Luv" - a semi-affectionate term used by many people over here, not necessarily reserved for just family or very close friends. Several of my coworkers use this term frequently, as in "Are you alright, luv?" and I actually quite like this usage. Makes me feel like I have friends already, even if this term doesn't denote any particular endearment.
"Taking the piss out of" - a less savoury phrase, used in the context of "I saw him taking the piss out of Rob" and meaning either to yell at or tease someone. I have yet to either use or carry out the task implied this phrase - after all, I am a friendly Canadian.
"Manky" - haven't actually heard this term in use, but I think it is a very apt word for what it means: something disgusting or icky. It's just fun to say, and I urge you to roll this one around on your tongue.
It is worth mentioning, for anyone that plans to someday shop in the UK, that Brits use different words for common articles of clothing. I've had a few embarassing mix-ups at work over these ones:
"Pants" - no these do not mean the lower article of clothing with long legs. Over here, "pants" mean "underpants". Very awkward when I ask someone if I can bring them another size of pants and they get all flustered. If you want to talk about what Canadians call pants, then over here you are talking about "trousers".
"Gillets" - pronounced "gil-ay" as for a french word; this is a vest.
"Jumper" - no, not what babies wear, a "jumper" is what we would call a sweater.
"Polo-necked shirt" - is a turtleneck. I don't know how they came up with this one, as North American polo-necks are fashioned after the actual shirts used in polo.
So there's your grammar lesson for today!
Non-sequiter: was recognized as a CANADIAN today by a lovely customer, who was in turn delighted that she'd correctly ascertained my geographic origins. Seems that I am recognized for a Canuck by Brits who have either lived in Canada themselves, or work with Canadians (today's customer was of the latter variety). Not five minutes later, I had another customer tell me that I "must be from Chicago" because of my distinctive accent. Clearly not someone with a lot of exposure to my fellow countrymen. Sigh. The idea of getting a maple leaf tattoo - or perhaps wearing Canada-themed underwear - is getting more and more attractive.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home