SOPHISTICATION IS NOT MY MIDDLE NAME
The shop that I work at doesn't have the nicest fitting rooms. They need a re-fit and can get a bit stale smelling on busy weekends. And so last week I was pleasantly surprised when I visited another shop to buy a jumper and found their fitting room a completely different creature.
Instead of a small, poorly-lit room with a single mirror, the other fitting room was HUGE (as in, a good 10-12 feet square), had mirrors on all sides, and was lit up like a ballpark at night. I could try on my jumper and admire myself from all angles - and it worked, I bought what I had tried on. I left the shop thinking, no wonder people say our fitting rooms are not the best.
My co-workers couldn't stop giggling when I mentioned this experience to them. You see, I had assumed (yes, I know what they say about people who assume) that the other shop had only one fitting room because they are a small shop and they weren't very busy when I was there. But no - I had been the lucky sole occupant of a COMMUNAL changing room. All those mirrors and lights? BAD IDEA when you are self-conscious or have not worn the most appealing of underthings (not saying either statement applies to me, but still!!) and you are changing next to some random guy off the street. You can't even turn your back, because those pesky mirrors offer tantilizing views from all angles. The lighting also creates a "all the better to see through your thin white shirt, my dear" opportunity.
I have now re-evaluated my viewpoint on our small - but private - fitting rooms, and have decided that this tale can be summarized in three simple points:
1. ALWAYS wear cute undies and make sure your legs are shaved before going clothes shopping in Cambridge (don't worry, Granny).
2. WHAT would I have done had I been happily changing, only to have the door whipped open and a fellow shown in? I suspect I may have shrieked and caused a bit of a scene.
and
3. I am SO NOT sophisticated enough to handle this! (Yet)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home