Thursday, April 21, 2005

TIME EXPLAINED (OR PERHAPS NOT)

I've had some TIME to think about my post of a few days ago, in which I expounded on TIME and how it seems to be flying by, how my increasing age is rushing up on me, and how living in a country with such a visible history is giving me a new perspective on this issue. I don't think I'll be able to be any more coherent in this post than my last, but I'll give it a shot.

Point One: As I get older, I truly am amazed at how fast the days go by. For example, it seems like it was Christmas only a few weeks ago (and I'm talking about Christmas 2002!). In my younger days, I couldn't comprehend how my parents and grandparents could talk about past events with such clarity. In particular, my dad's dad was born on a farm on the prairies and grew up living a pretty pioneer lifestyle - and that separation from the "modern" world had always made me feel like he was born SSSOOO LLLLOOONNNGGG AAAGGGOOO. But now that I am getting a few years under my belt myself, and I can clearly remember events that occurred one or perhaps even two decades ago, I have a new perspective on aging and how it can be possible for one's body to be eighty years old but their mind to still feel like they are in their 20's.

Point Two: TIME is relative. I know that some famous academic has already beaten me to the punch on that one, but it's an important enough point that I felt it necessary to repeat here. As in, my grandparents are "old" - but not in their memories; see Point One - but they, and even Canada itself, are awfully young compared to the history that abounds in England. I still have trouble getting my head around all the history here; that famous kings and academics have stood right where I have stood, and the medieval and older settlement history of this area. Combining a tangible history with the feeling that TIME is moving very quickly, in summary, has served to contract my sense of TIME (think Big Bang theory, now moving to the universe-is-contracting stage).

Point Three: It is not productive to obsess about TIME. Sometimes I am genuinely concerned that I am frittering away my TIME and that before I know it I'll be turning 30 and 40 and, and, and...and perhaps I still won't know how to fix my hair. But panic, of course, is never useful. Additionally, I have spent considerable TIME in the last few days thinking about how I would phrase today's entry, but as you can see I've not spent nearly enough TIME because I am still rambling.

Point Four: I've reached the end of today's blog entry and I am worried that perhaps I've confused you even further. Perhaps TIME is a subject for discussion rather than monologue...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home