A WONDERFUL WEEKEND AWAY
Proof that we spent our weekend in the English countryside:

We've just returned from three wonderful days with my relatives in Shropshire, and I can truthfully report that we had fun and relaxed in equal measures. We're so lucky to have family that we can descend upon with only a few days' notice, and who welcome us into their homes and hearts with such enthusiasm.
Our trip started on Saturday morning, when I picked up the rental car in Cambridge. You read that right - I was the driver this weekend. I decided that if I have figured out roundabouts enough that I can cycle through them, I should be able to do it in a car which gives me the benefits of a) being able to move quickly, with traffic, and b) encloses me in a steel box in case I screw up the execution and hit/get hit by another vehicle. Driving was surprisingly easy, and I managed so well with the roundabouts that Ray only squeaked twice the entire weekend.
My second (or third, or fourth??) cousin Leslie was looking after a friend's house and farm this weekend and she graciously allowed us to come up, under Uncle Jos' supervison, to feed and play with the critters. They had a large number of ducks, geese, chickens, and pigs. Ray and I especially loved the pigs - they grunt so happily and really enjoyed being scratched on top of their heads and shoulders.


The other highlight of our weekend, beyond getting to visit with everyone and a truly spectacular Sunday roast lunch, was a trip to Powis Castle in Wales. The weather was horrible, sort of like October-in-July, but we persevered and looking back I can say that the rain and mist added a very Welsh feeling to the day.
Powis is unique in that it is built entirely of red sandstone. The inside, which we were not allowed to photograph, is beautifully decorated with hand-carved wood panelling and intricate tapestries. Apparently Prince Charles, being an acquaintance of the Earl of Powis, used the castle as a hideaway for many years, although the guides swore that Camilla had not been welcome. Perhaps she had been smuggled in in the boot of a car.




The gardens were stunning, even on such a cloudy day:




We managed to smile through the rain!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home