Tuesday, March 22, 2005

SUPER KIM

Today I harassed my poor sister with my rendition of "Happy Birthday" and it's amazing the phone lines didn't crack apart with my screeching. Let's just say that I'm both tone-deaf and have the vocal abilities of a llama (didn't think they had vocal abilities, did you? Exactly my point). But Kim bore it all in remarkably good spirits and I have to say that she's certainly getting wise in her old age.

Having a sister is a pretty remarkable experience. As the older sister, I have a certain amount of seniority over Kim but she is by far scrappier - and I mean this in the nicest way - and so we come out pretty even in a fair fight. Truth be told...she could kick my butt, and it is to her credit that she hasn't tackled and taken me out since she was about four years old. Note that this would be TWENTY YEARS AGO - you do the math.

Kim and I have vastly different personalities and styles that clashed when we were younger - as I believe it does in all siblings - but over the years we have found ways to complement each other's strengths. I can teach her about horses and, well, she can teach me about just about anything else. My sister is one smart cookie.

When we were younger, Kim and I had all kinds of "rules" for each other including that we couldn't keep our stuff (or walk!) in each other's side of our shared room; now it's ironic that I sit here on the other side of the world and I think how much I would love it if she waltzed into the room right about now. I miss my dear sister.

I could ramble on forever about my Kim, but Mom definitely does a better job of summing her up: "She is a beautiful giving person, who grabs life by the horns even if it is scary, knows what she wants and gives 110 %". Might I add that I love how she is kooky (perhaps even kookier than me at times), can keep me on my toes, always listens with a sympathetic ear, and gives great advice.

Hugs and much love to you, Kimberley Anne, today and always.

Love, Amanda

2 Comments:

At 2:34 am, Blogger Kim said...

You're making me blush! If only we realized each other's value when we were younger, we might not have argued so much and I might not have been messy in rebellion to your tidiness. Hee hee, who knew a tidy person existed under that messy kid? But really, where would I be without my big sister (my best friend)? Definately not the person I am now!
ps. I liked your rendition of Happy Birthday! It kindof sounded British or something ;) jj

 
At 3:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two girls, i love you both, because of your differences and styles. You both have become my best friends and at times like this i miss you both terribly. Cant wait to see you soon, love mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home