OUCH
The trouble with stairs is that they involve vertical travel and sometimes that travel involves rapid downward involuntary movement.
This morning I was diligently cleaning our house and attempted to walk down the stairs carrying the vacuum. I say attempted because as I reached the fourth stair from the bottom, my feet slipped on the carpet and down I went. Normally I would have grabbed the railing to steady myself but of course at the time it seemed to make more sense to hold onto the vacuum (I'd like to know how that instinct would translate into my survival in the wild: "Girl gets eaten by lions, but area around her freshly cleaned and cleaning implements safely stored!"). Adding to the fun of falling out of control, I slipped just above the landing where the stairs make a 90 degree turn to the left; two toes on my right foot bore the brunt of the impact with the wall and kindly deflected my body around the corner so I could fall the rest of the way, coming to rest on my back on the wooden floor. Funny how the carpet on the stairs was friendly and soft before I slipped on it and the floor was charmingly rustic before I made abrupt, unintended contact with it.
Imagine our house this morning: Ray quietly mucking about upstairs, me calmly heading downstairs, when what is heard but a WHUMP, followed by ka-thump, ka-boom (that one was the wall), ka-thump, ka-thump, THUMP (the wooden floor). Silence. And then a split second later more thumping as Ray comes running and I swear and curse and fight the urge to cry like a girl. All good fun for a Sunday morning, let me tell you.
I am glad to report that despite the drama I am okay. My toes are still sore but unbroken, and I have a funky bruise on my lower back, but really it's only my pride that's hurt. But you can bet your buttons that the next time I have to vacuum upstairs I'll get Ray to move the appliance between the stories...

2 Comments:
Must confess that I was delayed in my comming to aid, as what I really heard was rapid-fire 'whump-ka-thump-ka-boom-kathmp-ka-thump-
THUMP', and since it takes me a few seconds to wince it took a bit until I was caught up with a wince for each thump. Didn't wince on the 'ka-boom' first time around as I'd assumed it was Amanda dropping the vacuum, and was mildly puzzled since she was still holding it when I arrived on the scene. Now all is clear, as I'd forgotten about the wall... I've now winced AND made and 'oha' noise to correct the earlier omission!
It also seems as though you're a tough gal, and mighty focused, because I'm pretty sure that when I did show up and ask if I could bring you some ice, you asked me to put the vacuum away first...
Ray
Hey Amanda Jane! Sure it wasn't an oldtimer's moment? After all you are now more than a quarter century old. I realize that I've been having more and more brain farts due to the lack of oxygen as my metabolism slows down the blood flow to my brain and things become less clear...ohoh...where was I going with this? Doesn't matter-hey- I trained for another job! Yep, another career path for me to ponder! This time I'm trying out employment as a residential support worker. Only for relief, on call, to cover holidays etc, but three days training is not enough to feel confident with. I'll do my best so that one day when I get put in a home!!, someone will care for me like I cared for others before me. See what else you start to think about as old age creeps up apon you?? I think you had better not dwell on TIME, Amanda Jane and enjoy your wonderful adventure with Ray. I am so excited for you and Ray to be experiencing a different country and visiting other countries! What tales you will have to recall and enjoy as life slows down. For now though, live the adventures so you can gather many tales to maybe share with your children or perhaps me when I am old and can no longer kick up my heels! Happy Birthday, Amanda Jane!!!Thinking of you and Ray! Be Careful will ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home