Thursday, January 19, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RAY!!!

I think it is a very rare occurennce to find a life partner who can make their spouse smile every time they think of them, a partner who is caring and generous almost without bounds, someone who never fails to make their spouse's day a hundred times better just by walking into the room. I'm extremely fortunate to find myself in the position of being married to such a person, and as today is his birthday, I'm going to take this opportunity to celebrate Ray and just a few of the qualities that he embodies.

Ray is scarily intelligent, but luckily he uses his powers for good and can most often be found using his smarts to figure out how to make my life, or the lives of those around him, a lot better. The only bad aspect of his intelligence is that it makes it awfully hard for me to win an argument, but then again, that same intelligence often keeps him out of the trouble that would result in an argument in the first place! He is preternatrually sensitive to my candy cravings and it is eerie just how often I come home to find the perfect snack waiting in the kitchen. This is a quality not to be underestimated in our household!

In the past year, Ray has become undeniably sporty - aside from cycling everywhere, he runs, swims, plays squash, and has quickly moved up the ranks in Darwin's rowing teams. From never having rowed four months ago he has progressed so much that he has been invited to fill in as an extra rower for the college's most competitive boat, one in which most of the guys have been rowing for years. This is no mean feat, and I am extremely proud of him. Not crazy enough to get up and be with him at the river at 7am on a chilly January morning, mind you, but definitely proud. When he rows in the famous May Bumps this year I will be on the riverbank cheering like crazy.

Most importantly, Ray is an extremely caring person. It doesn't matter if it's me, his family and friends, or an injured animal in the street - he cares about them and in these cynical times I think compassion and caring are some of the most important qualities in a person. He is a fantastic confidante and always gives thoughtul feedback and advice, putting the interests of others before his own. Ray's self confidence allows him to extend himself towards others and in that way he enriches the lives of those around him more than he can ever know.

The man makes a mean stirfry (in truth, he can out-cook me in almost any arena), and can always be counted upon to pick the perfect wine to match a meal. Perhaps more importantly, he cleans up!! - both after dinner and around the house. Ray, my sanity thanks you for this aspect of your personality! He is adventurous and is always up for a hike, gambol, trek or trip to destinations local and foreign, at a moment's notice. Ray is also easy-going and flexible; this weekend, for instance, he happily agreed to hedgehog sit despite Dave being a wee bit odiferous. He's even convinced that it will be a good idea to have horses and other critters in close proximity when we have a house one day...what can I say, the man is almost perfect!

Obviously, I could go on for a long time about how great this guy is, but I think I've embarassed him enough for one day. Happiest of Birthdays, Ray! Here's to a spectacular 26th year, and the amazing 27th year to come!

7 Comments:

At 5:05 pm, Blogger Ray Grout said...

Thanks :-) For the record, I have the world's best wife too...

Not to be difficult, but, um, I'm pretty sure I'm only 26 this year.... I hope anyway!

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Amanda Grout said...

Silly boy! Think of it this way: you're celebrating your 26th birthday, so you've been around for 26 whole years. Technically you are on the cusp of your 27th. (Or are you out-intelligenting me again??!!)

 
At 6:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And 26 years ago, to the min., we welcomed you into the world :)
We couldn't have a better son. Happy birthday and many more.
Ma and Pop

 
At 6:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute! And how wonderful that it exists in a world which often seems filled with such cynicism. Congrats to you both, and happy birthday to Ray. - - - - Bev Burgoyne
P.S. You two will change our world one day!

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Ray Grout said...

Doh! Ok, I give, you're right... forgot to count year 0... Must be gitting a bit dense, I hear it happens...

 
At 12:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably senility setting in.

Robin

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Ray Grout said...

Thanks. You're not so young yourself anymore there bud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home