Tuesday, January 10, 2006

NUBBIN

The jet lag is slowly getting better, but my brain is still functioning on stand-by. At least I slept through last night - first time in nearly a week.

I know you probably don't tune into this blog for updates on my sleeping habits, but such is the state of my posting in these dark days of the winter that I'm afraid that's about all you're going to get for today. That, and the amusing fact that my British co-workers had no idea what a "nubbin" was when I casually mentioned it in conversation today. Nick had a vague idea that a nubbin was something naughty, which had me worried because I love the word (I urge you to try it for yourself: casually work NUBBIN into your conversation at least once a day and observe your stress levels magically decline). I'd hate to think that I was going around England nonchalantly tossing out dirty words - other than the always-humorous mis-use of "pants" - and so to ease my mind I checked out Wikipedia only to find the following:

NUBBIN (definitions in order of their presentation on the site):
(1) "Nubbin is a character in the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. Real name Edward Sawyer, he is the brother of Leatherface and Chop Top. His name in the credits is just Hitchhiker. His role in the family business is to rob graves for purposes which are never made truly clear, although his 'legitimate' employment was at a local slaughterhouse." (I has to include the direct quote; it was just too funny, and disturbingly detailed given the subject of the film in which "Nubbin" was apparently featured).
(2) "Nubbin is also the 'little red dot things' used for a mouse on a keyboard in Episode 45 of Red vs Blue." (Again a direct quote; how can you paraphrase this sentence??)
(3) misshapen vegetable (i.e. like a carrot or potato nubbin)
(4) Chandler Bing's (from 'Friends') third nipple (Granny don't ask)
(5) "Nubbin (medical slang) can also be used to describe any anatomical stump or extra appendage. For example, 'Mr. Jones was very pleased with the appearance of his new nubbin after the above knee amputation.'" (I give up; jet lag requires the third direct quote).

I had definition (3) in mind, as a little bit of bump or some other such lump, as long as it is a cute lump/bump (cuteness is key here). This sentence should indicate (a) the reason I am not writing definitions for Wikipedia - although I could argue that I am more stable than whoever posted all that information about the Nubbin character in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and (b) that perhaps Nick was also correct, if one considers a nubbin in light of definition (4) (again, apologies to Granny).

In any case, this post is getting awfully rambling and I'm going to blame that on the jet lag instead of my natural tendency towards verbosity. I'm also going declare today's entry, as a whimsical flap of something out of the usual routin, a nubbin.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always associated the word "nubbin" with something that was once long and has been worn away through use so there is but a short stub left. E.g. an eraser has been worn down to a nubbin. The same would work for a pencil or any other long object that is worn away through normal use. I wasn't aware of these other uses for the word, and I've never considered that the Britsh don't understand it.

I'll have to add it to my compendium of British to Canadian that I've been developing that's 9 pages and counting! It's not that I have nothing to do, but I thought my students who are coming to Canada with me need a backgrounder on Canadian words before they go.

BTW, I'm glad to see that you are both back safe and sound. I've been a bit tired too, but I'm fully into the UK time zone now, after a few nights of waking up at weird times.

Warren :^>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home