Thursday, February 08, 2007

SNOW DAY!

We woke up this morning to find that winter had finally arrived, much to Ray's delight and Kappa's disgust. Turns out the cat doesn't approve of the extremes of either summer or winter - Kappa took a couple of steps outside, moaned unhappily and then trundled himself back up to bed. His is, indeed, a rough existence.

But Ray was thrilled and the snow did make for a beautiful walk into work today. Most people left their cycles at home, as did we, and we found ourselves in the midst of a crowd purposefully walking into town. Brits sure are a stoic bunch - the only snowballs being lobbed were by Ray and yours truly. You would think that in a town full of university students the sight of large tracts of fresh powder, of perfect snowball consistency, would have been irresistable. (Then again, maybe Ray and I are just immature).

Unfortunately by this evening the snow has turned to rainy sleet and most of the nice groundcover has melted - there are only a few bits of wet snow left here and there. At least this means, though, that life in Britain can return to normal from it's current state of weather chaos. I still don't understand the physics of how less than 3cm of snow can cause disruption of rail services and airports, but in this country they manage it!

1 Comments:

At 9:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you are in the wrong part of Cambridge... where I live the community seemed to be enjoying the snow a lot more and taking every opportunity to play with it (see my blog entry!). I am surprised though that not more snowballs were being thrown around; maybe it is related to the fear that Health and Safety may jump out and ban snowball throwing! Wish I could have been with you guys, as I need practice throwing snowballs and making snowmen! I know I am immature when snow is around!! Lack of it as a child!
Good to have you posting again!
Claire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home