Wednesday, March 02, 2005

FURRY FEET

I vaguely recall writing a couple of weeks back about how I was crazy on the warm spring weather, how it was nice enough for me to cycle to work nearly every day, and how the flowers were starting to bloom. Well, that was then; this is now. Now it is freezing cold in Cambridge. I can't leave the house without bundling in several layers, my head wrapped in a scarf, I don't cycle due to ice and snow, and the flowers are wondering "what in the sam heck??".

As I type this entry, the wind is literally whistling outside my living room window and a quick peep out the curtains confirms the presence of horizontal snow. Whilst gentle snowflakes falling are charming, these blowing chunks of ice are much less so, particularly as they seem bent on flying into our eyes and ears. No exposed orifice is safe!

The daffodils that were so jauntily blooming a few weeks ago are sagging with frost and the cherry trees have stopped mid-bloom. I am still waiting for another walk up the Backs (hopefully this weekend) to check on the progress of the flower carpets. At least the snow isn't sticking - as of yet - and so getting around is pretty easy even without the speed of Sally.

One other point on the cold: I have spent more hours wearing my sheepskin slippers (thank-you, Joan and Alan!) since moving to England than in the previous five years combined. Ray and I are very conscious of the cost of heating a home in England, and therefore we keep the heat as low as we can tolerate and make up for this by wearing jumpers and slippers in the house. So for now, furry feet rule Cambridge...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that soon my toes will be able to go au naturel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home