Friday, July 08, 2005

THE DAY AFTER

British people are amazing in their strength and determination to carry on today. People went into work, took the Tube and buses. Congregated in large crowds. Expressed their sorrow for those injured and killed, and vowed not to be intimidated by the cowards that set the bombs.

In the spirit of carrying on, we went to my office BBQ tonight and had a really nice time. I have always been blessed with terrific colleagues and the crew at Madingley are no exception. I ate too much, drank only a wee bit, and froze my butt off (the weather is horrid here at the moment). People talked about the bombings, but it was not the main subject of conversation. They were angry but definitely not afraid.

I know that the next time I travel to London the bombings will be high in my mind, but it won't because I fear for my safety any more than on previous trips. I will be thinking of the people who lost their lives or were injured, and feeling sad for them and their families. And like my coworkers, I will be mad at the terrorists but determined not to let them rule my life, or my choice of where to live and travel.

I want to thank everyone who has sent emails over the last day in response to my note - it was great to hear from you all. Thank-you for thinking of us, and for sending your heartfelt sympathy and wishes to the people of London.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home