I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO THINK OF A TITLE FOR TODAY'S POST
I am sickened and horrified and full of so many emotions that it's hard to sit down at a keyboard and write this all out.
London was attacked by terrorists this morning.
At the height of rush hour, bombs went off in a co-ordinated attack on several Tube lines and on a double-decker bus. I'm sitting here listening to the radio and the casualty and fatality count keeps climbing. We don't know whether to expect further attacks over the next few days.
I have ridden the Tube lines that were hit, and Kings Cross, the train station nearest the worst blast, is where we connect for our train to Cambridge. Ray and I were there just over two weeks ago, and Ray had been planning to go into London again tomorrow. This hits very close to home.
I can't get pictures of what those blasts must have looked like, in those dark Tube tunnels. I can't imagine being trapped underground while the lines filled with flames and smoke. I keep thinking of the people going down those long escalators, the escalators that I can see so clearly in my mind.
I know that just because I am somewhat personally affected by these events doesn't make them any worse than attacks that have happened elsewhere. I know, logically, that more people probably died today in car accidents than in the Tube and on that bus. But somehow the sheer maliciousness of this attack, and the fact that the people targetted were just like me, minding their own business as they went to their place of work, upsets me a far greater amount. Perhaps that is illogical.
I want to say that my thoughts are with the injured people, their families and the families of those who died today. My heart aches for them.
I just don't know what else to say.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home