Monday, August 08, 2005

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BRYAN

One of the things I really miss about home is the quantity of Canadian-content music on the radio. Of course I didn't expect to find the music playlist the same in England as it is in Canada, but I really miss hearing Jann Arden, Sarah MacLaughlin, and The Barenaked Ladies on a daily basis.

Whenever the subject of Canadian music comes up, British people always mention two particular artists: Celine Dione and Bryan Adams. The former they apologize for - as in, "oh, I'm so sorry that Celine comes from your country". Now, I'm not a Celine fan, but just what is it about the woman that sends people into scornful rants? The gal may be a bit flaky, but she's got a great set of pipes. But I digress. It's when Bryan Adams comes into the discussion that things really start to heat up.

British people really seem to like Bryan Adams' music, nevermind that it's been quite a while since he released any original material. I have heard more classic Bryan Adams tunes (Summer of '69, Run To You, etc.) on the radio in the last 10 months than probably the previous five years combined in Vancouver, Bryan's hometown. I used to wonder why he did that song with an ex-Spice Girl a few years back, but now it all makes sense...he's more popular over here than back home.

I just don't get it. Sure, his music is easy to listen to, and perhaps passes for rock in a country inundated by BritPop, but still. Canada has so much more to offer, aurally, that I've started to make it a bit of a personal mission to point out every stray Canadian artist that comes on the radio, noting in particular that the music is that of neither a) Celine or b) Bryan. And, of course, that this "other" music is terrific!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home