Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A SATISFIED GRUNT...

It's a few (ok, many) months behind schedule, but, for those of you that keep wondering what I do...

I hacked the video below together this morning, which caused a satisfied grunt to be generated by yours truly. What you're looking at is a flame in a very small box - red is burnt, blue is unburnt. As you can see, the flame (which is located where the red changes to blue) starts out smooth and becomes quite distorted; that's because of the background turbulent flow field.

So, to answering the question about what I do... I spent the last several months of my life preparing/running the computer simulation to make this movie! The idea is actually studying the physics of the flame, but hey, the movie's more fun. Oh yeah, and what you're looking it is about 3 seconds of 'real' time, but it took a couple of weeks for the 'big' computer to run the simulation :-D

Flame movie

4 Comments:

At 3:55 pm, Blogger Kim said...

That's cool! I watched it a bunch of times. It's psychedelic, but in a cool sciency sort of way.

Kim

 
At 6:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see the movie

 
At 7:17 am, Blogger Ray Grout said...

Did you click on the link? It should just link to an .avi file.

 
At 8:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very impressive, Ray. I think it would lend itself well to a music addition though (maybe a little Stomp :) )
(seriously, it represents a lot of work and we know you'll kick butt on Fri.) Love,
Ma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home