AUTUMN SURPRISES
It was pleasantly warm today after a week of snappish days, and as I walked home this evening I thought again about how much I love the weather at this time of year. The occasional warm day is something to cherish and marvel at, because I know how rare they are in October, and how fleeting.
With the rush of moving, trying to find a job, and getting settled into our new lives last year, we just didn't have time to slow down and enjoy these lazy-hazy days before the rain and wind really sets in for good. I'm so happy to have the chance this year, so aware and so grateful, and I'm going to make every minute count. Ray and I have pledged to get out and about as much as possible, to join all kinds of clubs (me: yoga, Ray: various possibilities - salsa/Latin dance maybe if I coerce him!), to cook great meals for our friends, and to take a road trip into the English countryside next weekend. We're hoping to go up to the Peak and Lake Districts and have our breath taken away by the fantastic vistas those areas have to offer.
This weekend we have a couple of parties to attend, some gardening to get organized, and a lot of planning for things we'd like to do to get our house ready for winter. We're also planning to celebrate Thanksgiving in our own little way, by buying lots of fall produce (figs are popular here at this time of year, and pears) and baking seasonal goodies. Hoping to pick up a little pumpkin to try and make my own pumpkin puree, which will in turn become a pie or cheesecake...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home