A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS
I'm taking a dreary January night to reflect on our holiday back in Gibsons/Vancouver, and all the wonderful aspects to the part of the world that will always be "home" deep in my heart, no matter where my and Ray's travels take us.
I love how, as we arrived at YVR, everyone was speaking with our twangy Canadian accent. A FRIENDLY twangy accent.
I love how the Canadian Customs gal just chuckled at us because we had filled out our landing card incorrectly, instead of pulling a power trip like Customs agents of some other, to be left un-named, countries.
I love how I only had to turn my head one full rotation before I spotted someone wearing a hockey jersey or a vehicle with a Canucks flag attached to the antenna.
I love how everyone and their dog - and they ALL have dogs - drinks at least six cups of coffee a day. I especially love the man I saw cycling down Granville Street, sipping from his Starbucks cup with one hand while he piloted his bike/held onto his dog's leash with his other hand.
I love how bat-shit-crazy West Coasters are to cheerfully (most of the time) put up with all that rain. My God, can it rain out there. I had forgotten about that.
I love how people return my smile and greeting in the street, without acting like I'm about to mug them or worse, make friendly small-talk. I love the friendly waitresses, the perky baristas, and the helpful salespeople.
I love how I can look out just about any window in any building and see a) snow-capped mountains, b) the Pacific Ocean, or c) both. If I can't see either of those geographical stunners then at least I am guaranteed to see some trees and ten people sipping coffee while they walk their dogs.
I love how being sporty and healthy is trendy. Finally, a trend that I don't mind being part of!
I love how I can go into just about any restaurant and get a great meal made with fresh ingredients, in a welcoming atmosphere, and pay under 20 bucks.
I love how there is a sheer physical presence to the landscape. It says, "I AM HERE".
I love how this place is populated with wonderful people, not just my dear family and friends, but with a couple of million other people that I like to imagine could be my friends.
__________________________________________________________
Funny story related to the above: Upon hearing from which part of the world Ray and I hail, I have been asked, "What the heck are you doing here??!!" Seems I'm not the only one suffering from a love affair with the West Coast.
___________________________________________________________
Update on the boiler situation: Ray adjusted the water pressure and the moaning has subsided. Perhaps the amorous elephants decided to move on?
___________________________________________________________
Bossy Blogger Command of the Day: Canadians, get thy butt out and VOTE!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home