JUST LIKE CAMPING (ALMOST)
One of the things about Canada that I miss the most is the availability of plentiful camping opportunities. England does have some caravan (read: motorhome) parks here and there, and even a tent site or two, but nothing compared to what we are so lucky to have back home. (Heck, we've gotta do something with all that "empty" space!) It's one of the aspects of my Canadian childhood that I often use to highlight a common and major differences between the way many Canadian and European children are raised - my family holidays revolved around campfires and hiking, not city breaks and museums. Not that one experience is better than the other - just different.
But I digress. As the weather (slowly!!!) improves, my thoughts turn to the great outdoors and accessing huge chunks of land without sight or evidence of human beings. This sort of land is scarce in the UK, with perhaps the exception of the northern reaches of Scotland. I noticed this same yearning last year, so at least this time around I'm prepared for it. Not so sure what to do about it, but aware that these feelings are lurking.
Despite the lack of true camping prospects in my immediate future, I've had two experiences in the past 24 hours that would qualify as camping-worthy. The first involves, oddly enough, my work: Claire and I worked overnight yesterday and our catnaps were continuously disturbed but a cricket hiding in a cleaning cupboard. We were able to locate his cupboard but didn't have a key to get in and, ahem, "silence" him. Given the season, we shouldn't be surprised with his amorous intentions, but I have to say that it's amazing just how much noise can be generated by one cricket on the make. I eventually drifted off to sleep thinking happy thoughts of "at least it sounds a bit like sleeping in the bush"!
Our current lack of hot water is a somewhat less pleasant distraction of the camping nature. Our boiler kicked it on the weekend and by Monday morning the last vestiges of hot water had vacated the Grout premises. We've been making do, at least on the personal hygiene front, by showering at work or the gym. Washing dishes, however, presents a special problem, as I am just not convinced that cold soapy water is as effective in cleaning oily plates as warm/hot soapy water. Therefore, each night I boil BOTH my kettles and fill the sink with warm water to wash, and then rinse, my dishes. I employ the same technique as I do when camping - although I find the whole process oddly stress-relieving in those environs - but at least these days I can boil my water in a kettle instead of on top of a kerosene stove or campfire.
The plumber is due for his third visit tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can shower during the Easter break...and as for Mr Cricket, his days, I'm sorry to say, are numbered.

1 Comments:
Given that in most British households the hot water is only turned on on an "as needed" basis, you do realise that for most of the summer (systems generally do not permit the heating to go on without hot water, but the converse is entirely possible), washing dishes in kettle-heated water is the standard proceedure. It takes ~20 mins for the hot water system to heat up, and less than 5 for the kettle to boil.
Other places you can get away from signs of civilisation (I have friends who do the camping thing) are Snowdonia in Wales and Dartmoor/Exmoor in the westcountry.
Post a Comment
<< Home