A-PUNTING WE WILL GO
Thankfully the storm of early Sunday morning moved through and left us with a beautiful spring morning, perfect for our planned punt outing. We loaded ourselves with all the punting essentials - champagne, Pimm's and fresh-baked baked goodies - got dressed in all our finery, and met up with Claire, Mark, Robin, Rupert and George at the punt dock just after noon.
I should mention that Robin is perhaps THE authority on all things posh and Cambridge and therefore we were well-directed in our choice of dress and libations. Robin and his brother George took the show a step further by dressing in dark jackets, bowties and boater hats; they also brought along a gramaphone so we could listen to the sweet strains of music as we drifted along the river.
We had, unsuprisingly, a truly fantastic time. The drinks flowed, no one was knocked into the river, and the spring showers held off. Luckily for us, Robin and company were in the punt next to us (there were too many of us to all go together) and so Claire and I could take a lot of photos of them:

This would be George

Robin hard at work at the helm of his punt

Yes I am actually friends with these guys
You have to admit, these guys count as Official Tourist Attractions.
I will write here that in the War Of The Champagne Corks, our crew scored the most direct hit on their punt, but Robin will probably go into the blog comments section and correct me. And he may be right - after all, I had a wee bit too much champagne and that part of the trip is a bit fuzzy.

Catching Ray and Mark hard at work, courtesy of Claire

Yeah, baby, it really is that nuts out on the water
After arriving safely back on land, we picnic'd in a grassy field next to the river for several more hours until hunger and and empty bottle of Pimm's left us in need of finding further food and refreshment. Certainly a wonderful way to welcome in the warmer spring/summer weather!

After punting - notice how I am still dry! (Note to Granny: that handbag is your birthday present to me!)

Ray, Claire and Mark post-punt (Mark - I TOLD YOU that I'd blog this if you insisted on sticking your tongue out at me. Everyone else - consider yourself warned).

Robin taking a well-deserved rest

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home