COLD #2
Just how unfair is it to be snuffled in the middle of summer? At least we are in the midst of a British Summer, which really feels more like late September than early August, so it's not like I'm missing out on days at the beach. But still.
I can't decide if this cold is the reason that I've been feeling tired all week (as it was coming on), or if this cold is the RESULT of not getting as much sleep as I should have this past week. Dad would say it's definitely the latter, but I prefer to think of this as an unavoidable tango with a foreign cold bug. My immune system just wasn't prepared for this attack at the left flank.
Yesterday I thought it was allergies. Blame it on the fenweed, that's what I always say. This morning I still thought it was allergies, but blamed it on the lovely, heavily-scented bouquet of phlox sitting on my dining room table. My continuous snuffling throughout the day invoked Claire to suggest that I was afflicted with the dreaded "c" word, but I still hoped against hope that the fenweed were working their evil charms. But by tonight the evidence is indisputable: I am snuffly, my eyes are watering, I have a sinus headache, and I've finally conceded that I do indeed have a cold.
At least I have tomorrow off work (arranged prior to getting sick) so I can sleep in, stay in my PJs all morning if I want to, and not sit next to poor Claire in our office with my snuffling driving her crazy. Ray even bought me a lovely new blanket yesterday that I can wrap myself in as I shuffle aimlessly from room to room. I just hope that I'm as good as new by later in the afternoon, because we have a fun evening of horse racing and live entertainment at Newmarket ahead of us...

1 Comments:
I'm glad to see that lovely word, fenweed, has entered the general vocabulary (although more properly it deserves the prefix "wretched")! I have been plotting its particular charms since I came up to cambridge (mumble) years ago. It first strikes out with its vile outpourings in revision season, to irritate the noses of those poor undergraduates busily reading their notes and attempting tripos past papers. It goes on to wreak merry hell for May week, and carries on past general admissions. It seems to expire not long after all the undergrads go down, leaving the lovely summer reasearch and easy bike parking season.
Post a Comment
<< Home