PREGO!
We had a FANTASTIC time in Rome. Absolutely fantastic.
I have so many thoughts about our trip and the city flowing through my head that it'll be a day or two yet til I have them organized...in the meantime here are the photos:

Ray (and Tim in the background) in our suite at Domus Sessoriana , an ancient (and still functioning) monastery located on the edge of ancient Rome.

We enjoyed the view from the roof of Domus Sessoriana's basilica.

On our first day, we took in the sights of ancient Rome including the Colosseum...

...the Roman Forums...

...yet more Forums (site of one of the first ancient roman settlements)...

...and still more Forums (check out the inscription on the stone behind Ray).
Although the Forums were in ruins (unbelievably, Romans used this site for excavation in centuries past!) it was incredible to walk around this area. Ray and I were both entranced and I suspect we could have happily spent a few days just wandering through here.

We spent time at the Trevi Fountain and threw coins over our shoulders into the waters (the legend being that if you do so, you will come back to Rome one day).

As we walked around town we got a kick out of Roman parking.

On our second day we explored Vatican City and Saint Peter's Square.

The Square was partially enclosed by gorgeous columns...

While our intrepid travelling companions Tim and Casey attended Mass with the Pope, Ray and I took in the Vatican Museums (no photos of the Sistene Chapel allowed, I'm afraid).

The museum's artwork was overwhelming...

...as was the interior of the museum itself (all the ceilings were like this).

We then visited Pope John Paul II's tomb and toured the basilica...

...which was of course very ornate.

After dinner that evening we explored some more, checking out the Trevi Fountain at night...

...as well as the Pantheon.

We returned to the Pantheon the next morning...

...and while our camera doesn't have a wide enough angle lens to capture the dome, you can sort of get a sense of the space from this photo (I hope!).

Rome has hundreds of piazzas; one of the most famous of these squares is Piazza Navona.

We also visited Castel Sant'Angelo (a massive fortress on the River Tiber)...

...which could be approached by the Ponte Sant'Angelo, a 2-millenia-old bridge...

...graced by the sculptor Bernini's angels.

Whew! I'm tired just getting these all organized, so I'll stop now and finish up with an image that I feel sums up the city: Religion and Vespas.
Ciao!

1 Comments:
Wow! Your photos of Rome are spectacular. Now I can't wait to go there myself. ( Perhaps I shall just end up trailing you around the world - Budapest, Rome.....)
Thanks for the trip! - - Bev
Post a Comment
<< Home