Thursday, March 02, 2006

CHILLY CHILLY

Winter is throwing forth one last blast before allowing Spring to really get going. (At least I hope it's just one last blast). After weeks of above-average temperatures, the last few days have seen us barely clearing zero and today we even got a brief snowfall. A few flakes were sitting on the ground when I got home from work so it looks like if we get any more snow it might stick around for a few days. I just hope it holds off until the weekend because it'll be a pain to get out to the village where I work if there is much snow on the roads.

I have adjusted to the cold, particularly with respect to how uncomfortable I was at the beginning of the winter, but I am definitely looking forward to the return of warmer weather. The first of the Spring clothes are appearing in stores - far too early, as usual - and I am craving pretty skirts and high-heeled sandals. And to think I used to be a tomboy!

We put up a bird feeder a few weeks ago and it is getting pretty regular traffic; with this cold snap I am particularly glad to be helping the wee birdies out. I have tried to take a photo of birds at the feeder but they are pretty skittish and I've not been able to get close enough to have them appear as anything more than a smudge on the camera. Oh well, I have a lot of time to work on getting a good photo, particularly once the weather improves.

My homesickness has subsided a bit since my last post, thanks to the kind words of many of you and those of my friends here. I know it will pass; I just wish it would pass SOON. On balance, I am enjoying my time here in England and our adventures are worth suffering through the occasional bout of homesickness. Thanks, Bev, for the focaccia recipe - I may very well give it a try this weekend...and perhaps a walk through some of the meadows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home