Friday, September 02, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOANIE!

Today is Joan's birthday, and her turn to have her qualities extolled in this blog.

My mother-in-law is an amazingly kind and caring person, and I know that she is there for me no matter what. She is very creative and is always full of new ideas on everything from what to do in the garden to how to throw a funky dinner party. She's enthusiastic about heading out on little adventures, and can be counted upon to have everything - and I mean absolutely everything - one would ever need in her handbag. Trust me on this - next time you run into Joan, ask her for something obscure, and just watch and see what she pulls from her Mary Poppins bag.

Years ago, on my first major trip with Ray's family to Missouri, I became very ill and spent and entire night (Christmas Eve, no less) suffering from an allergic reaction to some medication. I look back on that evening as the longest night of my life, but what I also remember is how Joan stayed by my side the entire time, with her cool hand on my forehead and her soft voice calming me. Joan, I don't know if I've ever told you just how much you helped me to make it through that night - but there are truly no words to explain how much I valued (and still value) you being there for me.

It's not just a myth that mothers- and daughters-in-laws have differences, and Joan and I are no exception. But in our case, I think we have both learned to respect the other person's point of view. We have long talks about just about every topic under the sun and I credit Joan with giving me new ideas about how to approach the world. She also encourages me to try new ways of living and to step outside my overly-cautious boundaries and try something new. Her adventurous spirit and her tales of travels around the world when she was my age was one of the factors that lead me to decide to do some travelling myself.

So happiest of birthdays to you, Dear Joanie, today and always!

Love Amanda

PS. She also shares in (and aids and abets) my fetish for pillows, blankets and all things soft and cuddly. This is a quality not to be underestimated!

1 Comments:

At 6:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is that you're talking about?! :)

Thanks Manda. You add a cheery note to a birthday :-)

I couldn't have a better daughter-in law :)
Love, Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home